Wednesday 16 June 2010

Birthday Blogging Blues


It was my birthday recently and suffice it to say that I way past 40.  As I grow older I find birthdays lose their significance and I don’t bother celebrating them quite so much.  In fact, I am looking forward to getting my Freedom Pass in the not too distant future – how sad is that?  Still, at least nobody can say ‘she doesn’t get out much …’ because I do – why would I be longing for the Freedom Pass otherwise?  I only hope the government doesn’t axe them before then – if they do I can see a silver-surfers rebellion on mobility scooters .  It’s enough that those of us born after 1950 are going to have to work beyond 60 to get their pension; in fact, there might not even be a pension by the time we get there.  Actually, given the money I owe, I can’t see myself retiring much before 75 anyway.

Spent the morning lazing about – partner got the breakfast and then we lay about reading the paper and generally taking it easy.  Thought we were not going to do anything, but he suggested a meal and the film Avatar – we’re close to the IMAX which, allegedly, has the biggest screen in the country. 


The meal was lovely (local restaurant so we were assured of a good one) and the film – well, I was gobsmacked.  It was fantastic – the special effects were brilliant and even the story, if a little corny, was good - I do like a bit of romance.  There were times when it felt like we were moving and I felt a little seasick; perhaps they should have provided sick-bags as well as 3D glasses. 
Maybe one day there will be a cover they can put over the screen so that you don’t have to wear the 3D glasses which make everyone look a bit like a poor relation of Elton John in his flamboyant days.  Thought my glasses had a dirty mark on them but discovered that wasn’t so once the film started – I had just tried them on too early.
 
Found it a bit noisy at times – my ears are not really attuned to our loud world, but that was my only complaint.  It was awesome and I particularly loved some tiny little blossoming things like dandelion blooms in bubbles which were an indication of the spiritual beliefs of the ‘blue people’ for want of a better word.  I liked humankind being called the ‘Sky people’ as a race who brought devastation from the skies.  Did wonder about the blue’s sex life as they didn’t appear to have any genitals and I assumed love to be a spiritual kind ‘I see you’ being their pillow-talk, but there were babies and if they had them with as little trouble and mess as they seemed to have sex – well, I’m all for it.   My partner said it was typical of me to think of something so basic, but then considering he made up a disgusting limerick with the ‘c’ word in it on the way home I don’t think he has any room to talk.

I’ve written a rather crap blues poem – set to music it might sound OK; after all, lots of blues don’t say much more than this.  Just imagine the piano/guitar riffs – I long to get good enough on piano to play blues!



Birthday Blues

I got the Birthday Blues
Can’t fasten my shoes
Cos I can’t bend enough
And I get out of puff
Got the Birthday Blues
Can’t even booze
Any more
Frightful bore
I just fall asleep
In a messy heap.

B





No comments:

Post a Comment